Sunday, August 25, 2013

Coming to an end

Oh those wonderful “Back to School” ads and posters seen everywhere.  The evil mom in me has much glee pointing every single one out to the minions.  They’re back to school next week (muhahaha) and Im back to getting lunch stuffs ready or making sure ingredients are available in addition to breakfasts.

We spent the last few days in Bend/Sunriver visiting family and having that last bit of summer vacation before school.  We stayed at the Thousand Trails campground that’s just south of Sunriver.  Very nice layout and they have lots for the kids to do.  They stayed in Sunriver with the grandparents so D and I were able to have a mini vaca of our own Smile.

Food!

As promised I have a recipe to share.  Southern Style Seitan by The Lady & Seitan.  Its really good – better than my first pass at trying to make my own seitan.  I fried mine up chicken style (lightly breaded with flour/nutritional yeast/herbs) and about 1 tbsp oil in a wonderful cast iron pan (new find on our vaca of an 8” Wagner pan that was lovingly cared for and is now a new favorite).  The seitan was paired with summer veggies and salad.  Sadly I totally forgot to get pictures.

Crochet

Ive been working on a new masterpiece!  Got caught up in the corner-to-corner (C2C) afghan craze and have started two monstrosities.

The second is for P.  I ripped up the block afghan I was working on for him as the blocks just werent working for me.  And OMG boring as hell!  All single crochet, back and forth and back and forth.  I just couldn’t do it any more.  That and the blocks werent measuring up as they needed to.  So all the bits went into the C2C.

And not to keep anything small when starting out with a new project (too boring right?), I plowed right in and am working on getting it to Full bed size, 80x90ish.

image
(new afghan – kitty approved)

The pic above is just at 65”ish so not too much more before I can start squaring off on one side.  P can almost wrap himself up in the length Ive got.  Its all Red Heart yarn; black, camo and platoon – 5 rows of each before changing colors.

The first one I started (ha, thought that may have been a typo up there eh?) Im using Caron one pound; black, red, white, and Red Heart grey heather.  I wanted to see if I could do it and would I want to make it larger than the normal 45x45 or so.  I don’t have a pic of the first one but will post it soon.

I can report that this is a very comfy and warm blanket.  Working on P’s over the vaca kept me comfy while the AC was keeping D cool.  He is much warmer blooded than me (man that he is) and likes the AC on COOL.  The Red Heart (scratch-y-ness and all) kept me wonderfully comfortable.

1 comment: