Saturday, February 23, 2013

Brain Cramp-age

Oh boy does my gray matter hurt.  Loki has been diagnosed with FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease), and Ive been researching how best to treat him going forward.

The main cause is not enough fluids.  That equals no more dry kibble – ever, for Loki.  And what Loki gets so does Lilith as Im not making two meals for each cat (if I can help it) and if he gets wet she will push him out to get her share.

After the issues Homer had (Diabetes and CKD), I wanted to make sure the dried food my next furbabies had was as best I could get for my $$.  They have been using Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover’s Soul.  I felt that wet was to spendy and smelly (on both ends) and I didn’t want to put the time in to raw. 

Why make my own raw kitty food now?  Cause buying it is just too expensive for me.  I may start off with a bag for Lilith to get used to the change in her eating habits and to give me some time to get the ingredients needed to make my own.  Another reason to make my own is that I will know what’s really in the food.  Loki cannot have any fish and may need additional supplements to help get his urine more acidic that I cant tell what amounts are really in the prepared food.  Canned food is almost just as bad as the dry with the ingredients used – fish is almost in everything even when it says “Chicken only”.

Im not planning on a big battle getting them switched.  Both have had wet and still come running when they hear a spoon clang against glass.

Loki is at the vet until Monday.  From what I understand he has the better of what type of issues he could have from FLUTD, meaning they havent found stones (yet) and that means no additional surgery.  I was able to take the kids and visit him today.  He was so happy to see us and whined to leave.  He is still in pain, which tells me he is still working through getting the crystals cleared up.  More info than you probably wanted to read.

The “prescription” food that the vet has, Im not too thrilled about after my research.  Of the two that Im assuming we will be given are really good for him and the sooner I get him to raw the better.

Im learning the hard way that pet food really is a pay for it now or pay for it later business.  Im doing the later now but will be working on the former going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment