Thursday, April 16, 2009

Library questions

Wonderful library questions I found on Donna's blog.  Since Ive moved on from trying to buy every book on the planet, my local library gets a good workout.  I thought I would join in and answer :P

How often do you use your public library and how do you use it? Has the coffeehouse/bookstore replaced the library? Did you go to the library as a child? Do you have any particular memories of the library? Do you like sleek, modern, active libraries or the older, darker, quiet, cozy libraries?

I use the public library more now than I have in the past 5-10 years.  Its just cheaper to borrow the books than to purchase every one I want.  Although there are times the book I want, the library would never pick up :P  Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror books just arent that in demand where I live so there are some titles I have to break down and buy if I really have to read them.

As my local library seems to have an issue of how books are processed and carded, I use their request system 95% of the time.  They seem to have an issue where even books in a series will be in sci-fi and fiction sections.  I hate having to figure out the method to their madness so I work on the principle that they put them away, they can find them for me.  All I have to do is find the books in the letter of my last name (Cause sometimes those arent even in alphabetical order - go figure).  I get a call once a book I requested is ready for pick up.  Then when I pick up, I have to see what new books are in.  Most of the time I see a book in the middle of a series that sounds (jacket read) fun to read so I march over to the computer and request more books.  Evil cycle!

My local library as not replaced the coffeehouse/bookstore, there isnt a place to drink coffee :P  They do have fun programs for the kids in summer, movies, Rock Band and DDR tourneys.  Last year I took the kids and friends there for a few hrs each week so they could participate.

As a child I only went to the library for class report research or if my parents wanted to go.  So not very much. The library wasnt very close to where we lived and to tell the truth, didnt have much to choose from.  It was remodeled in the 80's and it seems they lost space rather than gained it.  And still dont have much to choose from.  Sad for an influential town with $$ to burn (lots of rich people lining houses around the lake)

The type of libraries I like are ones with a variety of books and if they have series, they at least have the courtesy to have the first book (or at least a way to get the first book).  Pet peeve of mine as Ive found several series that the Washington County library system does not have the first book.  So annoying!

No comments:

Post a Comment