Friday, April 5, 2013

Black Bean Burritos

Its way past time to post another family approved recipe

I found a couple recipes for Black Bean burritos/wraps and add a bit of my own thinking and ended up with something YUMMY!

First recipe I found is from Six Sisters, Crunchy Black Bean Tacos

Next up is Thug Kitchen’s Black Bean and Cilantro Pesto Wrap

So I mashed thoughts from both and added a bit of my own.  I will try and get pictures next time I make this.

Black Bean and Cilantro Pesto Wrap
1 large bunch of cilantro, chopped, about 2 cups
2/3 cup slivered almonds
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup guacamole or avocado (optional but makes pesto wonderfully creamy)

Put all the ingredients for the pesto in a food processor and blend until well blended.

15 oz Black Beans
1 lb Beef, seasoned with Taco seasoning
Shredded cheese of your choice
Carrot slivers
other veggies as wanted
Tortillas

In a bowl, mix the pesto with the beans, Thug Kitchen recommends 1/4 c pesto for every 1 1/2 c beans but mix how ever you like.

For my personal burrito I added pesto beans, beef, carrots, salad greens (as we had them), shredded cheddar and a tad more guacamole (mmm), wrapped it all up and nom!

DL loves adding sour cream with his, along with everything else

The first time I made this, I didn’t have the beef.  It was fine but with the beef its so much better.  If you don’t want beef, you could use ground turkey/chicken, tofu or TVP.

Another difference is using dried black beans over canned.  Yes there is more planning and thinking when using dried beans but oh so worth it!  Soak those suckers over night, cook for no more than 1 hr and heaven!  The smell is amazing and I couldn’t wait to eat them.  I cooked an entire 16oz bag and had enough beans to feed a family of 4 (min 2 burritos each) and had more than enough for my lunch the next day.

Cilantro pesto – Personally I really dislike cilantro, but this pesto is to die for!  And the color – wow.  Who knew a real food could be that bright green.  I used about 1 1/2 bunches which was almost 4 cups.  I have enough pesto to last me quite a while and Im thinking of other dishes to use it in.  Or Im going to have to freeze it and use it later.

With all the salads we have been eating due to the life-style changes this is a wonderful way to mix up a dinner but still be able to keep with the high veggie, whole foods menu.

Pictures Update**

P1020509

P1020510P1020511

No comments:

Post a Comment