Friday, February 8, 2013

Good things

Im still under the weather but managed a couple good things today.  A finish and a good meal

Dragon of Water

Completed!

Dragon of Water 2-8-13 Finish

Now with all the 5 dragons completed I will get thinking on how I want to put them all together.

Jennifer does have a new-ish dragon, Dragon of Compassion that she created for the 2011 Tsunami that I may stitch into an ornament someday.

Dinner

clip_image002

Slow Cooker Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken
Ingredients:
4-6 chicken breasts (or thighs would work great too!)
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon-lime soda
2-3 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons water
Rice or noodles, cooked
Red pepper flakes (optional)


Directions:
Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken (I used frozen chicken, thawed chicken works great too) inside slow cooker. Mix together brown sugar, vinegar, soda, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper together. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. Take chicken pieces out of slow cooker (mine basically fell apart) and pour remaining sauce into saucepan. Place saucepan over high heat. Mix together corn starch and water, pour into saucepan, and mix well. Let sauce come to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken and turns into a glaze. Remove from heat and let sit for a minute or two (it will continue to thicken as it cools down).
Serve chicken over rice or noodles and top with glaze. Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top if desired.

**Changes**

I didn’t make too many changes.  I used Apple Cider Vinegar, I like the taste better, and I don’t drink soda but I do have a soda stream (a must have!) and lemon juice which I mixed together and used instead of the soda.

Im planning on serving this with rice.  Trying to find more meals I can serve with rice than pasta, a nice change from pasta most of the time.

**Update Verdict**

Thumbs up from the troops.  I want to try this with pork, I think it would work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment