Sunday, January 27, 2013

Wonderful Surprises

I had a wonderful surprise yesterday, I won the 2012 WIPocalypse drawing Smile

Mel did a wonderful job hosting the 2012  WIPocalypse  and the 2013 WIPocalypse  is well underway and there is still time to join in the fun.

Dinner

Crock Pot Chicken, Gravy and Stuffing

image

Ingredients

    • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    • salt
    • pepper
    • 1 cup chicken broth
    • 4 -6 slices swiss cheese
    • 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
    • 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
    • 1/4 cup milk
    • 2 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing
    • 1/2 cup butter, Melted

Directions

  1. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place chicken breasts in crock pot. Pour Chicken broth over breasts.
  2. Put one slice of Swiss cheese on each breast. Combine both cans of soup and milk.
  3. Cover chicken breasts with soup mixture. Sprinkle stuffing mix over all.
  4. Drizzle melted butter on top.
  5. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3.

**Notes

O M G, this dish was Wonderful!  I can picture making this instead of the whole turkey dinner for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Now for the Changes

I used thighs instead of breasts – plain cheaper that way.  And because I used two packages of thighs (4-5 in each) I went crazy on the cheese and used 12 slices.  It wasn’t over-kill but I could have held back a bit and plan to next time.  I used Pacific Cream of Chicken soup (in the box) and Imagine Portabella soup (in the box) instead of canned soup and box style broth (organic) and about a 1/4 c Apple Cider Vinegar.  If I had any Sherry, it would have been added into the mix, about 1/4 cup.  I also seasoned the soup mixture, just a bit, cause its what I do (grab what ever winks at me that day for seasoning, little thyme, oregano, basil, whatever.).  Next time I will use the whole 14oz bag of stuffing as the 3 cups I used wasn’t enough. 

But remember, I used thighs and more chicken and soup mix than what was called for.  I thought by using just the one extra cup of dressing it would make up the difference.  Thighs give off a lot of juice.

I was a bit strapped for time and I cooked this on on high in my Ninja Cooker for the recommended 3 hrs.  The smells were making my tummy hungry and very demanding!

No comments:

Post a Comment