Sunday, February 17, 2013

Fun Weekend

its been a good weekend.  Some of us are still recuperating while others are getting started.  D and I from whatever we had the last couple of weeks – P got on the evil sicky bandwagon, x’s added to projects, a finish, and a new dish to try.

IHSW

I kept my focus on LHN Hope this weekend and got it finished.  Such a fun stitch and a wonderful break from backstitching!

Before

Hope 2-16-13

After

Hope 2-17-13 Finish

And I was able to re-start another project

LHN Holly & Berries

Before

Holly and Berries 3-31-10

After

Holly and Berries 2-17-13

I originally started this way back in 2010 and it promptly got lost.  Going through all my WIPs, it was found again and I put it on the schedule to be next after Hope.  Looking at where I started it I was appalled at how little room I left for any finishing!  Thankfully not much had been added so out it all came.  Next I trimmed the piece of fabric down – it was just a bit too big for what I needed.  The piece left should make a good bookmark some day.

New Dish

I tried making my own applesauce in one of my slow cookers today.  This recipe is from Skinnytaste.com 

I had Braeburns that needed to be eaten soon and picked up a menagerie of others.

The recipe is very easy.

image

Directions

Core apples (you can peel before coring if you don’t want to deal with the skin)

Place the apples in the slow cooker.  Add the lemon peel, lemon juice, cinnamon sticks and sugar.

Cook on low for 6 hours.  Stir the apples occasionally, apples will become a yummy applesauce.

After 6 hrs, remove the cinnamon sticks and use an immersion blender to blend everything until smooth or when you feel its done.

Let it cool then place in containers for the refrigerator or freezer.  It will keep for about a week in the fridge.

**My Changes**

I didn’t use cinnamon, D doesn’t like it and I will be using it in baking recipes.

I also used agave instead of the sugar.  I may use less next time and eventually not use any sugar.

The apples in this mix – Granny Smith, Braeburn, Fuji, Jonagold, and Honey Crisp.  Pretty much fill up the slow cooker up with apples.

I also left the skins on.  Less work to do and they blended up very easily.

Verdict – Both kids love it.  Very tasty.  Now I have a much cheaper way to have applesauce.  Beats paying $4+ for 23oz of organic applesauce.  And I know everything that went in!

image

After blending

I didn’t measure it out before putting it away but I have enough for at least 3-4 cups.  It all depends on how big your slow cooker is and the number of apples used.

Opportunities

Minion 1 is not feeling well and I spied him crashed in the living room.  Loki is never one to leave a warm lap to fend for itself

image

Not sure if Loki was being a pest that caused the arm to fall and pin him.  Both look very comfy.  (no bodies were woken during the taking of pictures)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you stitched quite a lot! Continuing with a WIP after such a long time is wonderful and when it's finished you'll definitely feel great. I always do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your Hope finish! It is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely finish on hope and I like the look of that apple sauce. I have a chocolate brownie recipe that uses apple sauce in it.

    ReplyDelete